The Best North Carolina Elopement Locations
Today we get to talk about our favorite place for a special North Carolina elopement guide with everything you could possibly need to know if you’re planning to elope in North Carolina. North Carolina is literally our second home and we are absolutely obsessed with this place. This comprehensive guide is going to walk you through all of the reasons you should elope in North Carolina, the best locations (we’ve got you COVERED on this), how to get married in North Carolina, and a ton more! We hope you’re prepared to fall in love with this place like we have and maybe even elope to North Carolina for your big day!
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive right in!
Why elope in North Carolina?
North Carolina has a little bit of everything you could dream of—cascading and luscious terrains, picturesque beaches, historical sites and beautiful mountains, just to name a few! Literally you name the backdrop that you want for eloping in North Carolina, because they have it! Let’s cover the compelling reasons why it just might be the best place for you and your hunny to say ‘I do!”
- Breathtaking natural beauty
- North Carolina offers an insane array of natural landscapes, ranging from the grand Blue Ridge Mountains to the dreamy beaches of the Outer Banks. This variety of landscapes allows you to choose the perfect setting for your wedding. So whether you want mountains, forest, a waterfall, or the coast, you have tons of options!
- Four seasons and a haven for thrill seekers
- North Carolina experiences all four distinct seasons, making it an ideal, year-round destination for elopement. Whether it’s a snow-covered winter wonderland in the mountains, a life-giving spring ceremony amidst colorful and blooming gardens, or a sunny summer celebration on the beach, it’ll give you limitless options to match the vibes you envision for your elopement.
- Romantic and historic locations
- North Carolina boasts a wide variety of romantic and historic locations, from charming small towns of Asheville to the historic cities like Wilmington. These places provide a unique, rich, and character-filled setting for your elopement, infusing charm and history into your special day. It truly is an unrivaled place to make unforgettable memories!
- Hassle-free marriage laws
- Marriage laws in North Carolina are designed to make things easy and stress-free for you and your partner. You don’t have to worry about any waiting period or residency requirements, making the whole process a breeze. Getting your marriage license is also hassle-free, (they only need valid IDs or whatnots), so you can focus on all the exciting details of your elopement and not have to stress about the legalities.
11 Best Places to Elope In North Carolina
Want to feel like you just traveled back in time? Be absolutely mesmerized by this rare paradise of a genuine private sanctuary—the Twickenham House and Hall. Nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains, the Twickenham House offers a fairytale-like setting for your elopement. Imagine saying “I do” in a lavish mansion surrounded by beautifully manicured landscapes. The views of the Blue Ridge Mountains are absolutely insane! If you want to see even more info about Twickenham House, check out our Twickenham House Wedding Guide!
2. Max Patch | Hot Springs, NC
We had no words when we first experienced this place! I mean look at that backdrop! Can you imagine frolicking in the these grasses with your fiance by your side?! Max Patch is part of the Pigsah National Forest and the best part is this location was only a 1.5 mile loop.
If you are looking for a getaway that’s a fusion of luxury and nature, then the Omni Grove Park Inn might be the place for you. This historic resort sits in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and boasts lavish accommodations and stunning views. You can exchange your I do’s on the terraces overlooking the mountains, in their country club, or their historic pavilion.
4. Grandfather Mountain | Linville, NC
You’re in for an incredible experience if you choose to elope on Grandfather Mountain. The mountains seem to go on for miles and the view is just breathtaking! We also loved that there is a rustic cabin tucked in the mountains, not to far from these views. It makes for the perfect spot to share a slow morning with your hunny and get ready for your special day!
Couples seeking adventure on their elopement day will find Sky Retreat to be the ultimate dream wedding destination. Nestled in the mountains, this venue offers unique treehouse accommodations and a breathtaking outdoor platform for your ceremony. This North Carolina elopement location is the perfect combination of love, thrill, and beauty!
If you’re on the lookout for an place to tie the knot surrounded by forest but you also want to be near water, then Brown Mountain Beach is exactly what you’re looking for! This exclusive hideaway offers a dreamy setting for a no-fuss, peaceful, and relaxing celebration. It’s rustic yet romantic, and we love this location as a place for elopement.
The Mill At Rock Creek is a real treat because this historic mill blends rustic charm and modern elegance, creating such a special setting. We love that there are tons of photo-worthy backdrops on the property too! You can choose from mountain views, a waterfall and a garden, to name a few!
Another jewel in the heart of Linville, North Carolina is Beacon Heights Overlook Trail. This is another great option if you are looking for a shorter hike (less than a mile long!) that still has amazing views. Can you imagine hiking to such a scenic spot with your loved one, hand in hand, declaring your love surrounded by these views!? It’s absolutely a setting that captures the essence of a North Carolina elopement—natural, awe-inspiring, and deeply romantic.
The 1915 in Wilkesboro is a historic jewel that has been beautifully restored. We absolutely love the vintage charm of this 1,100 square foot venue! The 1915 also has an new outdoor garden venue that feels so special!
Located at the top of the stunning Beech Mountain, North Carolina, this chic and rustic elegant wedding venue is truly magical! There are breathtaking, longe-range views of the stunning Blue Ridge Mountains, and endless possibilities for where you’d like to celebrate on the property. We love that they also offer luxurious getting-ready areas, beautiful on-site accommodations, modern amenities, but most importantly, the views!
Is there really anything better than panoramic view of the breathtaking Blue Ridge Mountains!? The White Crow venue is such a dream! This brand new venue is situated on a 37-acre property with ample space if you wanted to bring up to 300 of your friends and family to join you in your elopement!
What are the state requirements for eloping in North Carolina?
North Carolina’s Marriage Laws
Okay, so we have covered the reasons why you might want to make North Carolina be at the top of your list for your small destination wedding. Now, to make sure your big day goes off without a hitch, let’s cover the states requirements:
- Marriage License
- Before anything else, you must appear in person to apply for your marriage license. The good news is that you can pick any county within the state to obtain your license, plus North Carolina warmly welcomes couples from all corners of the world since they don’t require any residency requirements. You only need to bring valid IDs or birth certificates along with proof of SSN.
- Age Requirement
- North Carolina mandates that you must be 18 or older, or 16-17 with permission from a guardian
- Every love story needs witnesses! For your North Carolina elopement, two adults of your choosing must be present at your wedding ceremony to witness your union. After saying your vows, they’ll sign your marriage license.
- North Carolina law allows ordained ministers, magistrates, and other religious officials to officiate your ceremony.
North Carolina Elopement Permits
Blue Ridge Parkway Permits
To elope or get married on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the National Park service requires a 30-day notice. When applying for a permit, there is a non-refundable application fee of $60 with $40 due when the permit is issued. These wedding permits are limited to 25 people and it covers a two-hour authorization period.
Well that does it for our North Carolina elopement guide! We hope you found this helpful and it inspired you to consider North Carolina as your elopement destination!
North Carolina Elopement Photographer & Videographer
Hey! We’re Rychelle + Aaron, husband & wife North Carolina elopement photo & video duo. If it wasn’t obvious yet, we are crazy about exploring North Carolina with our couples so we have some real-life North Carolina elopement inspiration at some of these locations we mentioned. Take a look at these beautiful elopements and weddings below!
If you’re on the hunt for an adventure-seeking, mountain-loving photographer or videographer for your North Carolina elopement, then you have come to the right place! From our first chat until the last photo we take of your special day in the mountains, we will be there to capture it all! We are excited to get to know you and help you bring your North Carolina elopement to life! Learn more about us here, and then check out our North Carolina elopement packages and let’s get you married!